Friday, October 26, 2007

Black-and-White Cookies (Page 666)

  • Date: Thursday, October 25, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: The Maintenance Man, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Truth be told, I have never been too excited about black and white cookies. I like them fine, but I never understood why some people love them so much. Now, I understand. Apparently I just hadn't found the right cookie yet. These black and white cookies were awesome! The cookie base was moist, fluffy, tangy, and perfectly chewy with a very slightly crusty edge. Yum! The frostings were also perfect in texture: spreadable and glossy. I think the frostings had a bit too much lemon juice in them (lemon and chocolate isn't a combination that I totally love), but they were still delicious. The frostings even set perfectly. These cookies were huge, in true deli style, and they were certainly better than any other black and white cookie I have eaten. I have often been disappointed by cookie recipes from The Book, but this one was a winner!

The recipe is very similar to this one. The amounts of the ingredients differ slightly and the one in The Book makes big cookies, not mini ones.

Sometimes I feel like a caricature of myself. Today when I went to work I left a big plate of cookies out for the maintenance man that I knew would be coming to look at my heating system. I even wrote a little note: "Please help yourself to some cookies!" I don't know when I became that person, who leaves homemade cookies out for strangers. But apparently that's me.

I am beginning to think that I am going to spend the whole winter being cold. I finally understood something new about my heating today though. The vents never blow hot air, which concerned me a little. Today I learned that my heater is of the air pump variety, which means that the "hot" air that comes out the vents to heat my apartment is about 77 degrees F. Frankly, that's just not very hot. What concerns me is that my apartment currently will not get all the way to warm, and it's not even so cold outside. What is going to happen in the dead of the winter? I did some reading about these air pump heating systems, and the consensus seems to be that they are only a good idea in places with "moderate climates." I'm not sure Indiana fits the bill exactly. It may be a long, cold winter! I think I may invest in a space heater.

No comments: