Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Portuguese Kale Soup with Chorizo (Page 109)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


This is my week of freezer-stocking so I am making several soups. The Book is very insistent about pairing sausage with kale. I suppose it a very classic combination, but I find it so disappointing. Sausage is high on the list of foods I love, and kale is very, very low on the list. Tough, bitter greens are just not my thing. Surprisingly though, it wasn't really the kale that I didn't like about this dish. It just wasn't very flavorful. The broth lacked depth and body. It was essentially seasoned water. The chorizo was good (of course!) but not good enough to make the dish worthwhile. The potatoes helped the situation a bit, but there weren't enough of them. This soup didn't taste bad, it just didn't taste like much at all.

Here is the recipe.

I can't believe it is the middle of the 6th week of the semester... Wow, time flies! I still have that feeling that the term just started. Perhaps I will have the feeling the whole way through. I think actually that it has something to do with the weather. It is still so warm here! The high on Friday is predicted to be 86 degrees! In October! When the weather is so summery, I can't shake the feeling that it must be summer. Well, summer with calculus lectures, research meetings, office hours, and seminars, apparently.

This week has been really busy, and I am exhausted! I have a couple more busy days ahead of me, but then on Friday a certain special visitor is flying in, so I plan to have a fun, relaxing weekend! That will be such a treat!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm not going to argue with your palate, but the spicy heartiness of kale potato and chorizo soup is wonderful in the winter - if you like greens. I take my chorizo out of the casings and cook it crumbly so that when I add it to the soup it really flavors the broth intensely and you get this spicy savory soup. Also in order to make the broth flavorful (otherwise it tastes like potato water) I us at least 1 part chicken stock to 1 part water and add a bay leaf and some celery salt to the cooking. You can also add celery to cook with the onion and that gives the broth more body.

P.S. Love the blog!

Teena said...

I have no doubt that this soup could have been good, with some alterations. Chicken broth would have certainly helped, and your suggestion of taking the chorizo out of the casings also sounds great.

I am glad you like the blog!

Margaux8 said...

All the versions I have eaten have at least a little tomato in some form or other: broken canned tomatoes or a little tomato sauce. It makes a big difference in the flavor and balance of the soup. And you have to start by sauteing onions and garlic lightly in olive oil.

Teena said...

Yeah I suspect that some tomato would have helped matters... I'll try that if I make this soup again.