Friday, October 26, 2007

Bibb Lettuce with Butter Dressing (Page 130)

  • Date: Friday, October 26, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I have been avoiding this recipe from the start because it just doesn't sound good -- lettuce with butter on it? I made it tonight, and while I didn't love it, it was better than I expected. This salad is very simple: bibb lettuce dressed with browned butter with lemon added. I love browned butter. And browned butter with lemon juice added makes a very nice sauce to accompany fish, chicken, or a variety of cooked vegetables. It wasn't great on lettuce though. It just didn't make sense having a dressing so rich and heavy on something like lettuce. It was overpowering both in its richness and in its lemon-butter flavor. I ate it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Here is the recipe.

Tonight I decided to devote some time to my gourmet project. I was motivated not only by being behind in my cooking, but also by being cold in my apartment (see the post below)! I figured having the oven on and pots on the stovetop would warm things up a bit, which it did. So tonight I made myself a big dinner, with four new recipes from The Book! None of it was great, but I had fun cooking lots of things at once. I like having 2 pots boiling, and a saute pan going, and something roasting, and something in the mixer etc... Lately I have been mainly cooking one thing at a time -- also fun, but not the same! It was nice to sit down at the end of the week to a real meal. Perhaps I will make a tradition of big Friday night dinners (at least when I am not traveling!). I am always a bit braindead by the end of the week, and cooking is a lovely way for me to relax.

No comments: