Friday, October 05, 2007

Maple Apricot Granola (Page 626)

  • Date: Friday, October 5, 2007 -- 6pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Chuck, Lynn, Paul K, Beth, Ayelet, Michael L, Daniel L, Ann, Jim, Marcia, Mike M, Teresa, Tricia, and Chris H
  • Recipe Rating: A-

We are hosting a big brunch on Sunday, and this granola is one dish for it. I suppose if I had thought about it, I would have concluded that one can make granola, but making my own granola had never occurred to me. So today was my first granola-making experience, and it was a positive one. This granola is excellent! The maple syrup baked into the oats gives them a slightly sugary crispness that is just wonderful. The toasted almonds also have a nice light sugar coating. The pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds add variety and contrast. If I were to make this again I would probably replace the apricots with dried cranberries, but the apricots weren't bad. Overall, it is a lovely granola. Initially the idea of making my own granola seemed a little silly, but this is significantly better than anything you could buy in the store.

Here is the recipe.

I hate airlines. My weekend visitor was supposed to be here at 4pm today. It's 9:53pm and he's not here. In fact, he won't be here until 1pm tomorrow. Plus, PLUS, the poor guy spent approximately 8 hours at the airport today, while they delayed his flight over and over again. The stupid airline claimed that his plane need 15 minutes of maintenance but they couldn't find a maintenance crew to do it. They refused to cancel the flight because then they would have to compensate the passengers in some way. So instead they delayed it -- until tomorrow. But, for some reason, no one can travel on that flight tomorrow. They had to rebook everyone on other flights. Sounds mysteriously like they CANCELED it, no?!?

*Deep breath*

Tomorrow morning is the math department tailgate. I am not going to the football game, but I will go to the tailgate party before I head to the airport to (hopefully!) pick up my visitor. I haven't been to a tailgate since college. I am looking forward to it. The one thing that I can't really get excited about though is drinking at 9am. Beer in the morning? It just doesn't appeal to me. Grilling in a parking lot in the morning though? That sounds good!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I started making our granola two years ago and we haven't bought a box of cereal since...So yummy! I'm going to Boston in two weeks and I'm somewhat upset that you are no longer there. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Y'know, you shouldn't hate what you don't understand. Airlines are very complex operations, completely unlike most industries. I find that travelers are often given accurate information that they then disregard or misinterpret.

Teena said...

Yeah, you are probably right, but some airlines are so rude about it. I think I wouldn't get nearly as upset if the people working for the airline were compassionate about the fact that your plans have been ruined/altered in a way that is very inconvenient.