Sunday, October 14, 2007

Oatmeal Brulee with Macerated Berries (Page 627)

  • Date: Sunday, October 7, 2007 -- 12pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Chuck, Lynn, Ayelet, Michael L, Daniel L, Ann, Paul K, Beth, Chris H, Tricia, Jim, Marcia, Mike M, and Teresa
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I made this dish for our big brunch last Sunday. It is a rather odd creation: cooked oatmeal, covered with custard and baked until the custard sets, then sprinkled with sugar which is torched to give it a crispy brulee top. At the end, some macerated berries are added. No one was really wild about this dish, but I think it has a lot of potential. It's not a good dish for a big buffet brunch like this one. It would be perfect for the first course of a fancy sit-down brunch, but in the buffet setting people were confused about what it was (Is it dessert? Is it oatmeal?). Also, even though I made them smaller than the recipe suggested, they were still too big to serve in a big brunch buffet. The other issue with this recipe was that I had to bake them much longer than indicated to get the custard to set. Overall though, I liked it. The contrast between the crispy burnt sugar topping and the smooth custard complemented the texture of the oatmeal well. Also, the custard, made with brown sugar, had a delicious flavor. It was an unusual dish, but I had positive feelings about it.

This recipe isn't online.

Yesterday Jim, Ayelet, Mike, JP and I all piled into Jim's van and went to Urbana-Champaign for the day for a gathering of Midwest topologists. It was a really fun time. The talks were good, and it was great to see people from all over the Midwest, some of whom I hadn't seen in a while. V was there, and Michael and Kari, so it definitely had a bit of a grad school reunion feel to it! It was interesting to talk to other people who are also just starting postdocs this year, and hear how their new jobs are going. I find it really nice to be in a place where there is such a huge community of topologists all within driving distance of one another. After the talks ended, we all went to the house of one of the UIUC professors and sat outside, drinking beer and eating pasta. It was a very pleasant day.

Today, I am back in Bloomington. This morning I did something I haven't done in a long time: I slept until I woke up on my own. No alarm clock. No phone call. I woke up at the tremendously leisurely hour of 9:15am! Now I feel very, very rested. Which is good because on the agenda for the day (aside from the usual stuff: research, planning my class) is: writing a midterm. Not my favorite activity. Speaking of, I should get to it.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Teena,
We all miss you tons. My dream is to have our Ethiopian entrusted child home and to have you make something Ethiopian in our home - because I wish you were cooking here in Madison! I have a friend who hosts "community" dinner every Thursday night - there is cooking going on there, and community. This is the friend I went to visit in Kenya. I was thinking that your home sounds like that to me sometimes. ~Meghan

Teena said...

Yeah, I love having people over for dinner, cooking and eating together. I deinitely have not done enough of that since I moved to Bloomington. Hopefully I will start doing more and more...