Thursday, October 18, 2007

Truffle Cookies (Page 672)

  • Date: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Paul K, Chuck, Chris H, Chris J, Spencer, Matty, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I felt like making some cookies last night, so I threw together these Truffle Cookies. When I realized this recipe made way more cookies that I could eat by myself, I brought them into the department and put them out during tea this afternoon. These cookies are an odd creation. They are shockingly brownie-like, both in flavor and texture. Yet they are a cookie! How do you do it, one might ask, since brownie batter is much too runny to hold a cookie shape when it is raw? Well, the secret in this recipe is that the liquidy batter is chilled for two hours, so that the chocolate in it solidifies and hardens up the dough. Then it can be formed into balls and baked as a cookie. Very clever... These cookies were quite tasty. They contained bar chocolate, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips, so they had a very intense chocolate flavor! The texture was perfect -- fudgey and soft, yet not gooey. They weren't the most attractive cookies ever, but the taste and texture didn't disappoint. I'm not sure I see the benefit of making these cookies over regular old brownies though. If they were extremely cute, that would be one reason, but they were no more attractive than your average brownie. Plus, the recipe took longer than brownies would have since the dough had to chill. However, they were tasty, and the people at tea rapidly ate them up!

This recipe isn't online.

Well tomorrow my students have their second midterm. After it is ends (at 12:15pm), I will hurry back to my office and grade midterms frantically with two of my teaching assistants until about 3pm. Then it is off to the airport! I am going to Los Angeles for the weekend. Normally I wouldn't make such a long trip for such a short period of time, but I made an exception for a special event. My college boyfriend is marrying the girl he left me for. How could I possibly miss that?!? In all seriousness, he and I are friends, and I am very happy for them. The wedding sounds lovely: a ceremony and champagne brunch outdoors in Malibu. I think it will be a good time. I am looking forward not only to celebrating with them, but also to seeing some friends from college that I haven't seen in way too long. Plus, my brother lives in LA, so my wedding date and I are going to stay with him for the weekend. It should be fun! The only not-so-fun part will be getting there and back. Traveling lately has been such a nightmare. I am already trying to mentally prepare myself for one of my flights getting canceled, or the first one getting so hopelessly delayed that I miss my connection. I am going to try to be calmer about it this time. The wedding isn't until Sunday, so at least I have two days to make it there!

No comments: