Friday, October 19, 2007

Roasted Red Pepper-Tomato Sauce (Page 388)

  • Date: Thursday, October 18, 2007 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


This sauce goes with a turkey meatloaf that I made last night for dinner. It was good, although I didn't think it complemented the meatloaf particularly well. This sauce is very simple: pureed roasted red peppers, garlic and tomatoes, seasoned with some lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. It could have used more vinegar I thought -- I could barely recognize that it was even there. The sauce has a great flavor, and was very light, but it didn't have much body to it. Perhaps that was part of the reason that it seemed like such an odd complement for meatloaf. It would make a nice pasta sauce though, particularly with some sausage cooked in it and cheese on top! The flavors of the red pepper and roasted garlic were very balanced, which made this sauce pretty successful, but I wasn't totally wowed by it.

Here is the recipe.

Hello from the St Louis airport! I am quite tired, and I haven't made too much progress yet on my trip to Los Angeles! Well, now I am in the central time zone, so that's a sign that I am getting closer.

Part of the reason that I am exhausted (aside from proctoring an exam all morning and frantically grading most of the afternoon) is that I was awakened in the middle of the night by a phone call. A friend was having a travel disaster, and he needed help from someone with internet access. I was that person. It was 2:30am. I sleep with my phone on for just this reason -- it is awful being in trouble in the middle of the night and not being able to reach anyone to help. I think more people should sleep with their phone on. Plus I am a good sleeper, so I can wake up, answer the phone, help out, and then fall back asleep in no time. So I was awake for a while in the middle of the night, calling rental car companies, etc... About 3am, when I was ready to go back to sleep I witnessed one of the most awful things I have seen lately. A couple of college students were standing in the street, below my bedroom window, and the guy was screaming at his girlfriend, continuously, for about 20 minutes. He was using words that I can't imagine ever saying out loud, more or less screaming them in the middle of the street as loudly as I can. After about 5 minutes I realized he wasn't actually using these words to describe his girlfriend (who he was yelling at) but rather to describe her roommate (who was nowhere to be seen). The girlfriend just stood there, shaking and whimpering. She tried to get him to calm down. She tried to get him to go inside. He told her that she could go f*** herself if she thought he was going to go back in there. He threatened to hit her. He threatened to put his fist through a window. It was unlike anything I have ever seen, and frankly, it was a little unsettling. I don't know how it ended. After 20 minutes they started walking away, him still yelling. Maybe I should have called the police. I was worried about the safety of that girl, and her roommate. However, I felt that it wasn't my place to intrude...

Enough about that. I should get back to my grading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way, man. You should have called the police, especially if you were worried for the safety of anyone. Since you only saw a small part of the entire exchange, and don't know what was said between the boyfriend and the roommate, you missed the opportunity to allow professional help to enter the situation. I recently witnessed a very weird interaction between a young couple at a subway stop, and ended up asking the woman if she needed help. Her boyfriend was restraining her, keeping his arms on either side of her, and talking very intensely AT her, rather than with her. I watched for a few minutes, and then walked over and asked if she needed any help. He let her go, she took off, and he stared at me for a bit. I wasn't sure if he was getting ready to hit me, so I started talking to him. That ended up being the best possible thing to do - he was distraught because they had just broken up, and he was feeling completely trapped and alone. I managed to suggest to him that he see the mental health professionals at his college, and gave him some names (fortunately, I work there and know the people). I think it helped to avoid something ugly. You should ALWAYS raise a red flag when you're concerned - it serves to let both parties know someone else is aware of the situation, which can help prevent dramatic actions (like hitting people) and also make the victim feel less alone.

-Mr. Anonymous

Teena said...

Yeah, you are probably right. I am just not very confrontational in general, so I didn't feel comfortable saying anything. Calling the police would have been a reasonable way of dealing with it without having to confront anyone myself...

Anonymous said...

Keeping passers-by safe by going into the face of confrontation is part of why we have police in the first place. They're better able to assess the situation, too, and they won't bring you into it unless you're needed as a witness.

I would just hate to see anyone get hurt, including you.