Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mashed Potatoes and Rutabaga (Page 563)

  • Date: Friday, October 26, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: C+


This recipe for clapshot (or mashed potatoes and rutabaga) sounded appealing since I tend to like all recipes whose main ingredient is potatoes. The rutabaga ruined this one for me though, so I can't say that I would recommend it. For one thing, the rutabaga didn't incorporate well with the potatoes. The taters mashed beautifully, but the rutabaga stubbornly stayed in chunks. I even cooked it 5 minutes longer than recommended, to try to get it extremely tender, but it did not mash well. These chunks may have been the source of my second issue with the dish: the sharp turnipy bite of rutabaga overpowered the lovely potatoes. Perhaps if it had all blended better the potatoes would have mellowed out the rutabaga. But as it was, there were sharp tasting little chunks of rutabaga embedded in perfect clouds of mashed potatoes. Not good. On the up side, because the rutabaga didn't incorporate well, it wasn't too hard to eat around it. I definitely won't be making this one again though.

This recipe isn't online.

Tonight I went over to my friend Cornelia's for dinner. A bunch of her friends came over, and everyone brought something to eat, so we had a big feast (lasagna, ratatouille, broccoli salad, bread, etc...). There were even three kinds of dessert -- yum! I am definitely missing the frequent potluck or Book dinners at my place back in Boston. (Dear friends who always cooked with me: I miss you!!!) I haven't quite figured out yet how to start up that tradition here. Probably the answer is that I just need to start inviting people over. Part of the problem though is that the vast majority of the people I know here are professors in the department, all of them senior to me. It feels a little strange to invite them over for a potluck, or even better: an experimental meal where you have to help cook! I think I still need to meet more people. The gathering tonight definitely had the same feel as those dinners though, and I really enjoyed it!

No comments: