Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ratatouille (Page 586)

  • Date: Saturday, October 27, 2007 -- 6pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Cornelia, Kelly, Christina, Dan, Jiho, Mary Ann, Judah, and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


Cornelia invited me to dinner on Saturday. I knew there was going to be lasagna present, so I thought I would make ratatouille to accompany it. It's hard for me to grade this. I don't particularly like soggy vegetables, and ratatouille is all about the over-cooked veggies. For ratatouille it was pretty good -- when I was able to get past the texture I could acknowledge that it had a great flavor. The basil really contributed a lot. The thing that bothered me about this recipe though was that The Book's preparation was so fussy. The vegetables all get cooked before they get thrown together in the tomato sauce and stewed. Although they all get cooked for the same amount of time, they all get cooked SEPARATELY in this recipe -- which is so annoying. You cook the onions for 10 minutes, then the peppers for 10 minutes, then the zucchini for 10 minutes, then the eggplant for 10 minutes... Why can't we just save ourselves some time and cook them all together? Honestly, is it really going to make a difference given that they then all get stewed together for an hour? They all end up terribly overcooked anyway! In that respect, this recipe was ridiculous. But it had a good flavor and people seemed to like it fine. If you like mushy veggies, you'll probably like this.

Here is the recipe.

Halloween is tomorrow! I am so excited. Holidays involving candy are my favorite... I even bought candy for my classes. I think I will force them to answer calculus questions tomorrow to earn their candy!

Chris arrives in the afternoon, and tomorrow night we are going to go over to Teresa's for dinner and to help hand out candy. I live right downtown, where there aren't any kids, so presumably there will be no trick-or-treaters at my apartment (further, the door of my apartment does not look at all residential, so even if there were kiddies looking for candy, they wouldn't look here). I am told that Teresa gets tons of trick-or-treaters though, and she is dressing up the dogs, so it should be fun! I love seeing little kids in Halloween costumes (dogs too!). Earlier today I saw a baby dressed as a skunk and I was tempted to steal him from his parents. SO cute! I even made a special Halloween dessert tonight, which will appear on the blog shortly. It's pretty funny...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate this recipe! It drove me mad. Ten minutes this, ten minutes that. Ratatouille is suppose to be simple and easy!

Teena said...

Yeah it was definitely ridiculous!