Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pork Chops with Mustard Crumbs (Page 482)

  • Date: Friday, October 26, 2007 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Cooking for myself, it doesn't occur to me so often to cook meat dishes (let's be honest, cooking for myself I seem to make vegetables, soups, and cookies, and not much else!). But I found a great butcher shop in Bloomington, and that motivated me to try and make at least one meat dish from The Book per week. These pork chops filled last week's meat quota. They were quite good. I overcooked them a bit (my fault, not the fault of The Book), but they were still fairly moist and tender. The bread crumb topping was delicious (as bread crumbs inevitably are!) and the mustard glaze gave the whole thing a kick of flavor. This dish was start-to-finish about 25 minutes, and it really had a lot of flavor for such a quick dish. It was also very visually appealing. Perhaps it is hard to appreciate from my picture, but it looked almost fancy. I liked this dish. I don't eat a lot of pork chops, but if I were going to, I would definitely use this preparation again.

Here is the recipe.

Well fall was slow in coming, but it is here, and it is spectacular! The leaves are changing, the air is brisk, and today the sun was shining. About 2:30pm this afternoon I thought to myself, "Why am I sitting in my office on this fine fall Sunday afternoon?" So I left, I walked home, and got in my car. I didn't know really where I was going -- I just started driving. The leaves were incredible and it was just warm enough to drive with the windows down. I had some George Michael playing -- it was the perfect Sunday drive. Eventually I stumbled upon Nashville (Indiana, not Tennessee), a town I have heard much about, but hadn't yet visited. I can't do justice to Nashville, Indiana by merely explaining it. You would have to visit. You know the kind of stores that sell fudge and caramel apples? Or the kind that sell little trinkets that are totally useless? Or carved wood? Or silk-screened T-shirts? You know how in certain places you will find small clusters of that type of store? Well Nashville, Indiana is completely composed of those stores. There must be hundreds of them. They fill blocks and blocks. And apparently tourists swarm there, because there were tons of people in Nashville today. I couldn't resist. I parked my car and set out to visit every candy store in Nashville. I gave up after the first six I came across, but I did acquire some delicious caramels and salt water taffy. Little Nashville Indiana was truly unlike anything I have ever seen. I'll be going back there I'm sure. There are hot dog stands to be tried, fudge to be eaten, and probably some terribly tacky Christmas presents to be purchased!

In the evening I came home, put a brisket in the oven, and planned my class. I made six and a half recipes from The Book this weekend! Progress is being made.

No comments: