Monday, September 17, 2007

Peanut Butter Cookies (Page 663)

  • Date: Monday, September 17, 2007 -- 9:30pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: C-


Truth be told, I made these cookies once before. It was November 2004, long before I started this crazy project. I had recently acquired The Book, and I was anxious to make something from it. So, I made these cookies. I didn't have the chunky peanut butter called for, so I used regular old smooth peanut butter. The cookies were awful! I wrote in the margin next to the recipe: "These were seriously horrible. Had to throw them away. True, I used creamy peanut butter, but still..." Now that I am bound by my stricter rules for my project, I needed to remake these cookies, using the proper peanut butter. I had hoped for better results this time. But no, these cookies too found themselves in the trash. I just don't understand it. There are so many delicious recipes for peanut butter cookies. Why would you print such an awful one? These cookies are chalky, dry, and floury. Horrible texture aside, they don't even have a good flavor. They taste of peanut butter, but there is nothing else to it. They aren't very sweet. They don't have any vanilla to add depth and contrast. Really, a true failure of a peanut butter cookie. At least I have no need to make them again...

If you are a glutton for punishment, here is the recipe.

The last time I made these cookies I was also living alone. It was my third year of graduate school, and due to quite complicated circumstances I ended up living by myself even though I had always hated the idea of living alone. And indeed, I didn't particularly enjoy it. My apartment was lovely (small and pretty), but as soon as I had the option to move someplace bigger, with a roommate, I did. Now here I am, living alone again. I haven't decided yet whether or not I want a roommate here. I certainly have space for one, and when I looked at apartments here I only looked at two-bedroom places for just that reason. But actually, I am enjoying living by myself so far. I would love to have a great roommate (Emilee and Rachel have been the all-star roommates of my life! Unfortunately they have stayed in California, with their husbands, so I think it may be difficult to convince them to come live with me...). Not knowing many people here makes it difficult though to find someone who would be fantastic to live with. And I think I might prefer living by myself over living with a random roommate... Only time will tell I suppose!

4 comments:

Jo said...

I tried these last year, and was disappointed also. I tried Alton Brown's recipe and that was a hit. I even was required to bring them into work!

vero said...

When reading your post I had three toughts
1) Why the hell did you make these cookies again? You are really dedicated!!
2) If you threw them out why did they get an ok grade?
3) It's too bad you are not around any more. Miss you!

Mike Hill said...

I agree with Vero who "hat gesagt..." (I'm in Germany) why did you give them some sort of C? If you couldn't eat them, that gets an F. I'm sensing some sort of grade inflation that makes all our earlier grades meaningless...

Teena said...

Well I am nothing if not devoted to my project. I threw them out but they weren't bad enough to get an F. They were edible. I just didn't like them and didn't want to eat them all myself given that they were pretty bad. But I can imagine a person who would have eaten them rather than throwing them in the trash. So that seemed like it deserved about a C- from me.

I miss you too Vero! No one was around yesterday to ridicule me when I made a recipe that was just sugar and vanilla mixed together.