Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onions (Page 476)

  • Date: Sunday, September 9, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Teri and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

My mom picked this recipe for dinner one night last weekend. This pork was quite good. It was braised with caramelized onions and apple cider, which gave the meat some lovely flavor. The sauce and onions were also delicious over the meat (and over potatoes, and over broccoli...). It's hard to go too wrong with slow-cooked pork, but this recipe was even better than most. It required very little work, and had a lot of flavor. It would have been nice to have a good loaf of bread with the meal to sop up some of the delicious sauce!

Here is the recipe.

You can tell my mom is in town because there are 5 different kinds of ice cream in my freezer right now. I have to admit, I picked out one of them (raspberry sherbet!), but the other four were all my mom. First she picked out super-loaded chocolate peanut butter cup. Then she got mint chocolate chip because she wanted something to put chocolate sauce on, and the chocolate peanut butter cup with chocolate sauce was too much. Next: vanilla to go with the blueberry pie. Finally, Neapolitan, because she was worried about running out of ice cream! Add that to my raspberry sherbet and there are five half gallons of ice cream in my freezer (plus some fudgsicles of course!).

The thing that is curious to me is how different both mine and my brother's tastes in food are so different from my mother's. Spencer eats mainly fruit. I crave carbs and vegetables. My mother like sugar (ice cream for lunch, cupcakes for breakfast, etc...)! I suppose it just goes to show, there is no accounting for taste!

No comments: