Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Herbed Spaetzle (Page 241)

  • Date: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


When left to my own devices, it is the Pasta, Noodles and Dumplings section of The Book that calls to me the most (what can I say, I crave carbs!). This recipe was... well... interesting. The Book promised me exceptional lightness with these little dumplings, but it wasn't to be. What I ended up with were dense little dumplings, still delicious, but not light in the slightest. I think the problem was that they were overcooked. It was inevitable though, because the directions for cooking them were so awful that the first spaetzle to hit the water were hugely overcooked by the time the last spaetzle went in. The problem: the spaetzle dough was supposed to be forced through the holes in a colander into simmering water. But the dough just wouldn't go through. As I was attempting to push the sticky dough through those tiny holes, I thought, "This seems familiar." Then I remembered: Kevin from the other Gourmet Project had similar issues when he made this recipe. I think I didn't have quite the disaster that he did, but it was pretty bad. The spaetzle went through the colander so slowly that the first ones in the water got way overcooked. In the end I ended up just using a fork to put strings of dough into the water. All that said, they tasted delicious. The herb butter was lovely. The fresh dill really made the dish. My recommendation: if you don't have a spaetzle maker, avoid this dish. The colander is not a good substitute. It will only make you crazy. But the herb butter would be delicious on pasta, or different dumplings.

This recipe isn't online.

I am starting to feel very settled into my life in Bloomington. My classes seems to be going fine. I gave my first midterm. I made my first trip to Boston. I have been working on my research and talking to my colleagues. I have even found some time to cook!

Mission: Make New Friends is also going pretty well. The math people are great, of course, and I have made friends with another person who is new to Bloomington, in the Fine Arts department. She and I went out for a beer tonight, which was a nice way to relax mid-week. Honestly, I haven't made much of an effort to meet people outside the department yet. This is something that I would like to do, but I have just been crazy busy. Hopefully in the next few weeks, as I continue to get more and more settled, I will have more time to meet people in Bloomington.

Now though, it is time for a bowl of ice cream, and a good night of sleep!

No comments: