Sunday, March 26, 2006

Balsamic-Roasted Pears with Pepper and Honey (Page 809)

  • Date: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 9pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Cotton
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Cotton and I picked this one together. Left to my own devices I would probably have given this recipe a C+. Cotton wanted to give it an A- though, so I compromised at B- (yeah, I know, that's a pretty special way of compromising -- Cotton doesn't actually read my blog though, so he'll never know he was cheated...) Anyway, it's not that this dessert was bad or anything, it just wasn't very convincing. It tasted like a bunch of things: roasted pears, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, Manchego cheese, and honey, all thrown together. And I like all those things -- I even like them together -- but there was no attempt to have the flavors meld in any way. If more of the ingredients had actually been cooked together, I think I would have felt better about it. As it was, I felt like I was just eating a roasted pear swimming in vinegar with cheese on the side. That's not really my idea of a good dessert. Cotton liked it though, so it may just be a matter of personal taste. The concept of this dessert is definitely a good one, but I think the recipe just isn't quite right.

My weekend has been nice -- very relaxing. Plus, my awesome parents decided to drive my mom's car to me this week! They were intending to travel from Wisconsin to South Carolina this week anyway -- but they had planned to go by plane! Instead, they left Wisconsin today in what will soon be my car, and are stopping in Ohio for something related to my dad's work. They are arriving here on Wednesday morning. We're going to have lunch and then they are flying to South Carolina Wednesday afternoon. I'm so excited about having a "new" car, and am very grateful that my parents are going to bring it to me!!!

I also got a new phone yesterday to replace the one I broke in half. This one has a camera, which allows me to document all sorts of things.

I have a new goal: to answer my phone when people call me. Ok, let me refine my goal a little: when I don't have some real reason not to answer my phone, I want to learn to answer it. As it is now, a lot of the time I just watch my phone ring, and don't pick it up. It's not that I don't like the people who are calling me. It's not even that I don't want to talk to them. My impulse is just not to answer. Today I was realizing though how some people are really good about always answering their phone or returning calls, or responding to emails promptly, etc... and how I really like them for that. So, I am going to try to be more that way myself. I do ok with emails already, but this phone thing is not going to be so easy...

No comments: