Sunday, March 12, 2006

Roasted French Fries (Page 568)

  • Date: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this recipe last night because I have potatoes left over from Talbot that I need to use before they go bad. These fries were good, but inconsistent. To be fair, this is likely due to user error. Some of my fries burned, some didn't cook enough. Some stuck to the pan and tore apart, others came off easily. Probably most of this inconsistency in cooking stemmed from my inconsistency in cutting the potatoes into equal sized matchsticks. In any event, the fries that weren't burnt or undercooked tasted really good! Likely if I took more care in making this recipe it would be great!

So last night I went to a party. I left home around 9pm with the intention of only staying at the party a couple of hours. I was exhausted and wanted to get some rest. Things didn't quite work out that way though. I ended up back home around 3pm, and when I crawled in to bed, I just stared at the ceiling for a moment and thought, "huh." This party was unusual in so many respects, and I couldn't possibly try to explain the evening here. It was the kind of night I love though: really eye-opening in a way, and very different from every other night. It was the kind of night after which I am sure at least half a dozen people (myself included) woke up feeling slightly embarassed this morning. It was a memorable evening. A lot of these same people are coming over to my place for dinner tonight. I am wondering if the events of last night will be a major topic of conversation, or totally ignored. We shall see...

I went to the homeless shelter this morning, after not enough sleep. I helped Carol with the dishes most of the time. It's not my favorite job in general, but when I am exhuasted it's perfect. It's fast paced, but repetitive, and doesn't really require interaction with other people. It's a good task for someone who's not totally awake. Plus, no one on my shift besides Carol really likes to do the dishes, so she's always pleased when someone helps voluntarily.

Ok, I should start thinking about making dinner for my guests this evening...

No comments: