Saturday, March 11, 2006

Molasses Sponge Candy (Page 698)

  • Date: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 3pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: C-
A friend is having a small party tonight, so I made this candy with the intention of bringing it to his get-together. It's not so good though, so I think I won't be leaving the house with it. It's a shame really because it was a lot of fun to make. I love making candy -- I find it so fascinating how the properties of sugar change so drastically just from boiling. Plus, the effect of adding the baking soda to the boiling molasses and sugar was incredibly cool. It was very remniscent of a science experiment: you have this boiling liquid, you add a tiny amount of powder, and you get this huge growing column of stuff. It was really beautiful to watch. But, the end result just doesn't taste very good...

Yesterday was Marco's birthday (Happy Birthday Marco!) so after a wonderfully long workout at the gym, Mike and I went over to Marco's place to hang out last night. I stayed up much later than usual and ate an obscene number of chocolate covered dried cherries. This morning I woke up feeling the sugar hangover from those cherries!

There's a new butcher shop in Cambridge called Savenor's Market, and I went there today for the first time. The butcher guys were extremely nice. I needed a standing rib roast for dinner tomorrow night, and the only ones they had at the moment were boneless. They felt so bad about not having exactly what I wanted that they gave me the boneless one for the same per pound price as the one with bones! Not a bad deal at all. Well I shouldn't say that really -- it was the most expensive piece of meat I have ever purchased in my life -- by a long shot! Somehow it was also way more meat than I intended to buy... but that's a different story... I think I will be eating slices of rib roast all week! One of the butchers asked me if I was trying to impress my husband with my rib roast. That made me laugh. I told him I didn't have one to impress, and that the rib roast was just for friends. He seemed skeptical.

Before my butcher shop adventure this morning I finally got the pedicure I have been trying to find time for all month! It was so wonderful!

No comments: