Sunday, March 05, 2006

Fruit Crumble (Page 815)

  • Friday, March 3, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: North Conway, NH
  • Kitchen: The "Talbot" House Kitchen
  • Dining Companions: Andre, Vigleik, Mike, Vero, John, Jacob, Chris and 15 other Mathematicians
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I picked this one for dessert on our last night of the Talbot workshop. I made it with a combination of peaches and nectarines. It was very good! I had to cook it about twice as long as indicated in the recipe, although this was probably because I was using deep baking dishes rather than pie plates. The flavor and texture of the crumble topping was extremely good. Overall, a very simple, but tasty dessert. It was perfect served warm with vanilla ice cream.

I am back in Boston now. It's nice to be home. I had a very low key day today: I went to the homeless shelter, graded my students' first differential equations exam, took a long nap, and went to Koreana with Chris and Marco. Now I am, theoretically, unpacking. In reality I am just enjoying some time alone. Living in a house for a week with 22 other mathematicians is fun, but it certainly doesn't allow for too much solitude. By the last day I had reached my limit of being constantly surrounded by other people. I dismissed my kitchen crew for the day, ordered pizza for dinner, and baked dessert alone in the kitchen while most people were either skiing or sleeping. It was a nice break. Today though, I have really had some time alone, which has been so therapeutic.

No comments: