Thursday, March 16, 2006

Golden Cake with Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting (Page 725)

  • Date: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:15pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA (MIT!)
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Bridget, Mike, Francesca, Vigleik, Jon, Michael B., Alex, Mark, Prof. Stanley, Prof. Postnikov, Prof. Gessel, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this cake for Bridget's thesis defense because it sounded good and seemed like it would be generally appealing to a lot of people. I modified the recipe in several ways. One, instead of putting frosting between all four layers, I did one layer of frosting, and filled the other two with raspberry filling, which I think was a good adjustment. I also covered the cake with a chocolate band after frosting it. I have been wanting to try this technique for a while, so I figured I would give it a shot. It didn't come out perfect, but I was fairly happy with it. Overall the cake wasn't bad. The cake itself was a little dense for my taste, and maybe just slightly too dry. It's a matter of personal taste, but I generally prefer the texture of a chiffon-style cake to a butter cake like this one. However, the buttery flavor of this cake was very nice.

This has been a weird, weird week. This morning, before anyone else was in the office, Josh and I were sitting around, comparing how strange our respective weeks have been. I think that his week has been even more odd than mine, but I gave him a run for his money. Maybe I would have actually won if I had really been able to explain everything that has happened this week! My desire to maintain some privacy prevents me from doing this though. We decided there must just be something in the air. Last night when I went to bed I finally felt like things had settled down a little. Then I woke up to an email this morning from someone that I wasn't expecting to see for quite a while, saying that he is coming to town tomorrow. I am excited about the idea of seeing him, and hoping that he wants to see me too. I guess I can only wait and see...

No comments: