Sunday, March 19, 2006

Hollandaise Sauce (Page 883)

  • Date: Many times in 2004
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Cambridge School of Culinary Arts
  • Recipe Rating: A-

This is another one that I have made before. The recipe in this book is the same as our recipe for Hollandaise sauce in culinary school, so I have made it many, many times. I gave it an A- because if I were going to make Hollandaise, this is certainly the recipe I would use. However, I can't stand Hollandaise sauce so I never make it! When I was studying before exams at culinary school I would make batches of Hollandaise, and Mayonaise, and Bechamel, taste them, and then just put them down the garbage disposal. I felt bad about it, but not bad enough to actually want to eat them! So, I'm not a huge fan of Hollandaise, but for a Hollandaise sauce this one is pretty good.

I wrote this long, really personal thing to put here, and then erased it.

I don't really know what to say. My weekend has been weird, and not really at all what I had hoped it would be. But at the same time, I have felt comforted by it. This afternoon, over bread pudding and tea at 1369, Mike said "You know, sometimes things turn out the way you hoped they would, and sometimes they just don't." This weekend they didn't, but I feel ok about that. I think it's important to have days that are hard. It's important to remember once in a while that you can't always have everything that you want.

No comments: