Sunday, March 26, 2006

Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet (Page 860)

  • Date: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 9:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: My Parents
  • Recipe Rating: B

I picked this recipe out for my dad, who will be here for lunch on Wednesday. It's pretty good. The sherbet has excellent flavor -- I have never made sherbet or ice cream with buttermilk before and it gives it quite a nice tang. The balance of the lemon and sugar is also pretty good, producing a sherbet that has lemon flavor but is not overly sour. I might prefer even more lemon though. The only thing I don't really like about this recipe is that I think the texture is a little icy for a sherbet. The texture almost seems closer to that of a sorbet. Overall though, not bad. I think my dad will like it.

My parents will be here for a few hours on Wednesday, so I am making his and hers frozen treats for them. For my mom: chocolate ice cream. Any of you who have met her know that her love of ice cream is impressive. The woman eats ice cream every single day, and most days more than once. No meal that she eats is complete without her ice cream. My dad usually prefers a slightly lighter dessert, hence the sherbet is for him. He also likes all things lemon. When I was 12 or 13 I used to make him lemon meringue pies. That was one of the few things in my repetoire then, and I made them very frequently! My mom taught me how to make her homemade pie crust, and we made the first few pies together. After that I made them on my own for my dad. He likes his lemon meringue pies really tart, so I would make them that way. Guests in our house would always be a little shocked by the tartness when they would taste the pie. This lemon sherbet is probably not quite as tart as he would prefer, but I think he will still like it. Flipping through The Book just now I realized that there is a recipe for lemon meringue ice cream. I should have made that for him! Oh well, too late. Three kinds of ice cream might be overkill!

I have received one phone call since my resolution earlier this evening to answer my phone, and I answered it! So far so good... I realized while on the phone though one reason that I don't answer my phone. I wanted to talk to the guy who called, and we ended up talking for almost an hour and having a really good conversation. He lives less than a mile away though. It seems so silly to talk to people on the phone who live so nearby. We could have just talked in person!

No comments: