Friday, March 31, 2006

Cold Poached Chicken with Ginger Scallion Oil (Page 357)

  • Date: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I picked this one because Vigleik and Shihchi took me to Costco last weekend and I got a huge bag of frozen chicken breasts. So I thought I would make this one to use a few of them.This dish wasn't bad -- I just didn't love it. Cold poached chicken is rarely something that I get excited about. This chicken was poached in water, rice wine, and ginger -- the flavors of the sake and ginger were very mild in the chicken breast, but still nice. I wasn't a huge fan of the oil though. It had good flavor, but it was, of course, really oily. So the dish was essentially cold chicken in oil. Now, if I wanted to eat cold chicken in oil, I would probably go with this dish, but it's just not a type of dish that I can get too excited about.

I made this for lunch yesterday. Last night the homeless shelter had a volunteer appreciation party at the aquarium. Jacob came with me and we had a very nice dinner sitting poolside next to the penguin exhibit.

I was out a few nights ago with a friend and we were talking about what we each think is sexy. I offered that I thought men in flip-flops were sexy. He said women with big breasts were sexy, etc... It went on like this for a while. At some point I said that people who know what they want are sexy. He turned to me when I said that and asked, "Do you know what you want?" The question gave me pause. I usually know exactly what I want. I am very decisive and committed to the decisions I make, for better or for worse. Lately though, I feel very indecisive in certain arenas of my life. It's unusual for me, and frankly, a little bit uncomfortable. I have spent much of this break trying to figure out what it is that I want. But as the end of break approaches, I'm not so sure I've really made any progress...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the point of the oil is to be a "mashing medium," so perhaps you can try adding only enough to let you crush the ginger and green onions effectively. What oil did you use? Did you add a bit of salt? You can add light soy sauce too, though not necessarily for this dish.

Anyway, chicken with this ginger and green onion oil is one of the more popular items at the Chinese food truck on Main Street.