Monday, March 06, 2006

Spice Sugar Cookies (Page 669)

  • Date: Monday, March 6, 2006 - 10pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B

Andre picked the page number for these cookies when we were driving back from Talbot on Saturday. I make cookies for Babytop each week (one of the graduate student topology seminars at MIT) and these are the cookies for tomorrow. They aren't great, but they aren't bad either. I like the sugar on the exterior, and the spicy flavor of the cloves really comes through clearly. I had originally thought that they were going to be a bit too crunchy for me (I generally prefer soft cookies!) but after sitting for a bit they became pretty soft. They are a little dry, but then again I did eat two of them, after eating dessert at a restaurant, so they aren't too bad!

Today we had our first Monday topology seminar of the term, and hence our first topology dinner. We went to The Elephant Walk, which was pretty good. There were 13 of us - a bigger crowd than usual. I was sitting across from Veronique, which is always an adventure! She, like Mike, likes to meddle in my love life. The problem with people attempting to live vicariously through me is that my love life really isn't that interesting. It's not that I don't like to date, but I am just rarely interested enough in anyone to pursue it. Tonight Veronique decided she was going to start a mission to set me up with a certain tall, blond, Danish mathematician who lives 3000 miles away. I tried to tell her that said mathematician, although admittedly desirable, seems not the least bit interested in me. She ignored this minor detail and continued to plot ways of getting me to California, or him to Boston. When she tried to recruit Haynes for her cause, I finally did try to stop her. Haynes just smiled though, and commented that Veronique makes a good replacement for Mike when he's away. I suspect that Vero is slightly more dangerous than Mike though: Mike usually forgets about his plans before he executes them. Somehow I think Veronique is less forgetful...

I am speaking in Babytop tomorrow so I should go think about my talk now.

No comments: