Saturday, March 18, 2006

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble (Page 812)

  • Date: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 5:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex's Partygoers: Alex, Jon, Natasha, Mary Beth, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Every so often Alex has wine-tasting dinners at his place, and I traditionally provide dessert. I picked this one for Alex's dinner last night because it seemed like it would both be easy and tasty. After making Bridget's cake, I wasn't ready for another fussy dessert quite yet! This was a good recipe. It didn't come out particularly beautiful, but it did taste quite good. The recipe gives a range for the amount of sugar to add -- I went with the middle of the range, but were I to do it again, I would put in less. Rhubarb is always best if you let the tartness of it come through. Also, I made the mistake of covering it while it was still warm in order to transport it from my place to Alex's. The net effect of this was that the crisp topping got much less crispy. I recrisped it a bit at Alex's, but I think it would have been better had I not covered it in the first place. Overall though, people seemed to really like this dessert. If you're looking for something quick and relatively foolproof, this recipe is not bad at all!

Well, the one person I really wanted to hear from yesterday never called (of course -- doesn't it always work out that way! :) ), but I did get a chance to spend some time with a couple people I hadn't really seen in a while. Much to my surprise, Rob appeared in the math department yesterday afternoon. I hadn't seen him since his wedding in July. He has a job at Columbia so he and his wife moved to New York. It was really great to catch up with him briefly. I miss having Rob around and watching the occasional Stanford football game with him! Then last night, when I went to Alex's party, Jon was there. I saw Jon at Bridget's celebration Thursday but before that I hadn't seen him in months. Jon and I met at math camp when we were undergrads! I just say that because it drives him crazy -- we actually met at an extended conference in Park City, Utah. We both ended up at MIT for grad school, although he's in the computer science department, hence I hardly see him. Anyway, last night we got a chance to really catch up. When I drove him home after the party he gave me an amazing pep talk - which aside from really embarassing me was quite sweet.

My other pep talk yesterday came in the form of a complete stranger working at a coffee shop paying me some very unusual compliments. After our chat I left, drink in hand, and laughed to myself all the way through Central Square.

It's about 8:30am on Saturday morning and the whole world seems so quiet. I love this time of day on the weekends...

No comments: