Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Persian-Style Chicken with Walnut, Onion, and Pomegranate Sauce (Page 372)

  • Date: August, 2005
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian, Chris, Eric, and Rachel
  • Recipe Rating: C+

This is another one that I made long ago, but am just documenting now. Emilee and I made this in California last summer when I was visiting. It sounded really good, but wasn't so great. It wasn't nearly as bad as it looked though! I don't feel even slightly bad about the fact that there is no picutre of this one. This dish was terrifyingly ugly! Pomegranate apparently wasn't in season when we made it, so we had to use pomegranate juice instead, which seemed to work fine. The flavor of the dish was not bad, but somehow the appearance and texture made it not so appealing to eat.

Today was hard. I found out today that I am going to have to say goodbye to Lipschitz, my car. Partly it's upsetting because getting a different car will be expensive. I have a number of obligations that require driving though, so not replacing it isn't really a viable option. Plus, I love to drive so much -- I can't imagine not having a car. More than that though, I'm upset because Lipschitz has been with me so long -- that car is really special to me. I drove to Boston from California in that car. I drove to Emilee's wedding in that car. I drove to visit Melanie in North Dakota, and Greg in DC. I drove it down the California coast many times. It has had whitewater kayaks and surfboards and Christmas trees strapped to its top. For one week it had everything I owned inside of it. I have ridden in that car with boyfriends, and close friends, and family. I will miss all of those things. Brian has always referred to Lipschitz as "piece-of-shit." I will even miss that. But sometimes letting go is the only option. That car and I have had almost 124,000 miles together. And now, the cost of repairing it enough to make it safe to drive is many times the value of the car. I know it's time to let go, but I'm still so sad. On the bus home from school today I started to cry. Maybe it is silly to be so upset, but that car has been with me through so much... It's like losing a friend that has always been faithful to me.

I'm sure some of you reading this have good (and bad!) memories in that car too... (Em: our breakdown in the middle of the night in that terrifying neighborhood of San Francisco, or driving up those amazing hills to see the church with the labyrinth?!?!).

I'm writing this from my apartment, where I am baking a cake for Bridget's thesis defense tomorrow. Warm cake smells are drifting from the kitchen to my bedroom, and consoling me in my misery.

No comments: