Monday, March 13, 2006

Beef Roasted in a Salt Crust (Page 413)

  • Date: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 7:30pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Mike, Vigleik, Shihchi, Marco, Josh, Vero, Alex, and Ana
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I chose this for last night's dinner because it is a big recipe so I wanted to make it when I was having a few people over. It came out really nicely. I have roasted fish in salt before, but never a big beef roast, so it was a new experience for me. This recipe is incredibly simple, and the meat came out beautiful and tasty. I ended up using a boneless standing rib roast rather than one with the ribs in, as that was all they had at the butchers, but it still came out great! It would be a perfect dish for a special occasion.

For almost a year now, a small group of people have been getting together periodically for potluck dinners at my place. Over the summer these dinners happened weekly on Tuesdays, and became somehow forever known as Tuesday Dinners. Now that term is in session at MIT, dinners have not been so frequent, or consistent. But occasionally, like last night, we manage to get some of us together for such a potluck. I make a big vegetarian pasta dish (and often some other things) and everyone brings something with them. There ends up always being tons of good food. The crowd changes a bit from dinner to dinner, and over time we have added some new faces, and some people have moved away. We always have a good time though! I really love to eat with friends, and I always look forward to occasions that bring up all together over dinner.

I've included a picture of the roast before I removed the salt. When some people arrived last night the salt crust was still on and they couldn't figure out what it was. My favorite guess came from Marco: "Is it a cake?" Even once it was established that the white stuff was salt (and not frosting, or ice, and some people thought) people had a hard time figuring out what might be inside. It was quite entertaining.

No comments: