Thursday, March 16, 2006

Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting (Page 726)

  • Date: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:15pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA (MIT!)
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Bridget, Mike, Francesca, Jon, Michael B., Mark, Alex, Vigleik, Prof. Stanley, Prof. Postnikov, Prof. Gessel, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: A

I chose this frosting because it went with the cake recipe that I made for Bridget's thesis defense today. I had actually made this frosting before, but never the cake that it went with, so I remade it for the project. I really love this frosting. It is very chocolately, and not too sweet. The sour cream gives it a great tang. I reccomend using good chocolate -- I used Callebaut and the chocolate flavor was fantastic. This frosting also has the great property that it starts very easy to spread and then firms up as it cools. Thus, it is both extremely easy to crumb coat with and extremely easy to pipe, which is a rare quality in a frosting. You do have to work quickly though, as once it has really thickened it is difficult to do anything with it. Overall, a wonderful frosting that is simple to make, good to work with, and very tasty.

Bridget successfully defended her doctoral thesis this afternoon! Congratulations Bridget! After her presentation we had cake and champagne, and then a bunch of us went out for dinner. When we were at dinner I couldn't help but think that it felt like not so long ago that we were all out for dinner celebrating Bridget passing her qualifying exams. In reality, that was almost 3 years ago. Grad school is really flying by. I guess it's not surprising that when you spend every day doing something that you love doing, surrounded by people that are great friends, time will seem as though it is passing quickly. I feel really lucky to have a job that I love and an office that I look forward to going to each day. That is such a huge blessing.

I was also reminded today that next year Bridget won't be here. Mike will be in Virginia. Vigleik will be in Chicago. It will be so different without the three of them around. Bridget is my resource for all things girly. She's the perfect person to watch a chick-flick with. She's great to talk with in the middle of the afternoon, sitting in my office with our feet up on the desks. Mike is my gym buddy, my source of all advice, and the first person I go to with a dilema. Mike will patiently listen to me rehash the same scenario over and over. Mike never gets sick of eating at Anna's with me. Vigleik is my rock. Possibly the most stable, even-tempered person I have ever known, Vigleik cheers me up when I feel bad, and calms me down when I am too excited to concentrate. Vigleik sits next to me in class every day. He eats lunch with me every afternoon. It's possible that I spend more time with him than with anyone else in my life. It makes me sad to think that next year they will be gone. The department will feel so different without them. But I am so lucky to have shared four great years with them...

No comments: