Saturday, April 01, 2006

Grilled Asparagus (Page 521)

  • Date: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:30pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this one because Alex kindly invited me over to grill some stuff at his place. I do not have a grill, but there are 36 grilled dishes in The Book. Fortunately, Alex both has a grill, and loves food, so I think it will all work out ok! This asparagus was pretty good. It came out a bit undercooked, but that was our fault, rather than the recipe's fault. Asparagus is a great vegetable to grill: it holds up well, it gets beautiful grill marks, and the smokey grill flavor really complements the flavor of the vegetable. Plus, it is a fantastically easy preparation! Definitely a good recipe -- it would be perfect for a summer barbecue.

Alex's grill is set outside a window of his apartment, on the roof of one of the apartments below him. It makes for a great grilling set-up: you can just stand inside and grill through the window. It does necessitate the use of a flashlight while grilling though! Here's a picture.

One of my goals for Spring Break was to organize Food for Thought for the rest of the semester. This didn't happen in entirety, but I did get a good start. For those who don't already know: I have a grant from MIT to hold a series of food tasting in the math department (crazy, I know!). I had 6 tastings last spring and there will be 4 more this spring. Last year the six tastings were: citrus fruit, chocolate, oil and vinegar, cheese, artisanal breads, and salt. If you're interested: http://math.mit.edu/~tgerhard/fft . When I wrote the grant proposal it wasn't clear to me how well received it would be in the math department. I figured the graduate students would like it (graduate students always like free food!) but I didn't know how the faculty would respond. It turned out to be really fun for everyone though. Lots of faculty and staff in the department came to the tastings, in addition to the graduate students. The first tasting for this semester will be this week and I am hoping to get the same positive response!

No comments: