Sunday, April 30, 2006

Penne with Arugula and Prosciutto (Page 217)

  • Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 10pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Paul's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Recipe Rating: C
Paul offered to make me dinner the night I had to grade my differential equations exams (yes, he is that nice!), and he asked for a recipe from the "Recipes for Mentally Challenged 9 Year-Olds" section of The Book. Strangely, The Book isn't quite organized in that way, but I figured that this one would meet the requirements. It was easy, but it also tasted really bad. The arugula was just tremendously overpowering, making the dish almost inedible. Paul recognized that this was going to be a problem while he was making it (since he tastes the food he cooks every five minutes!), so he cut way back on the amount of arugula, but it was still too much. I think that with a fourth of the amount of arugula that the recipe lists, this dish could be good. The other flavors in the dish were quite nice if you tried to steer away from all the arugula.

So, probably I shouldn't really count this one in my project since Paul made it. But I sat in the next room, grading exams, and answering his recipe-related questions, so I figure it's ok.

Mike's thesis defense was today. I still haven't really completely internalized the fact that so many of my friends are graduating and moving away. Honestly, I can't even picture what grad school will look like without Mike here with me. Mike and I became friends on day one. It was Mike who talked me in to taking an algebraic topology course my first semester at MIT, so I suppose I have him to thank for helping me find the field that I love so much. When Mike and I go places together we invariably get asked how long we've been dating (or in some cases how long we've been married!), which never ceases to make us laugh. I think though that people thinking that about us reflects that we have a great connection. I'm going to miss him when he's far away... He did a great job today. It's always wonderful to watch someone that you really care about do something really well.

2 comments:

paul said...

Well, I was hoping Teena would give this dish an A to spare my feelings (my first appearance as Chef on the blog yields a C!), but I suppose honesty (and upholding the integrity of the blog) is the best policy. I think even a quarter of the required arugula would have been too much... at least we were able to salvage the night with some wonderful Corn en Papillote!

Teena said...

I'm sorry! But wouldn't you feel bad if I gave it an A and someone else made it based on my reccomendation and had to suffer through the same nasty meal that we did?!?!