Saturday, April 01, 2006

Green Apple Salad with Grilled Beef (Page 166)

  • Date: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:30pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Alex
  • Recipe Rating: A

I have been eyeing this recipe for a while, so when Alex offered up the use of his grill last night, I immediately picked this one. This recipe did not disappoint. While eating it, I was trying to think of something constructive to say about how it could be better, and I just couldn't. It was exactly right. This is the kind of dish I really like: some nice pieces of meat over a salad that is refeshing and light. It's the kind of meal that leaves you feeling energized and good, rather than weighed down by the food. The dressing on the salad was incredibly light with excellent flavor. The lime juice and fish sauce complemented each other well and the chiles gave it a nice kick. Plus, green apples and beef is a combination that I adore! I was really very happy with this dish.

Several years ago Chris got me interested in yoga, and I went to class once or twice a week for a long time. Last summer I was in yoga class one afternoon, thinking about my grandmother, and wishing that after being forced to live so much longer than she wanted to that she would finally be allowed to die. She passed away while I was in class that day. I never went back. Last weekend Cotton and I were talking a lot about yoga and I realized that I miss it. I still don't feel ready to go back to that class, but I decided to start practicing again at home. It's been really nice. It's always a good feeling to return to something that you enjoy but stopped doing.

Nobody writes comments on my blog anymore... :( At least the people I eat with should have something to say!

1 comment:

Vigleik said...

Sounds delicious, I'm sorry I missed it. You don't give out A's very often so I'm sure it was extremely good.