Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Melon Apple Chutney (Page 42)

  • Date: Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 9am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Dining Companions: Paul, Alex, Marco, Mike, John, Sophie, Vigleik, Shihchi, Vero, Cotton, Jessie, Josh
  • Recipe Rating: B-

This chutney is a component of an hors d'oeuvre that I made for my party on Saturday. It wasn't bad really, but I didn't like it so much. The melon and apple flavors were nice but I thought the vinegar was a bit overpowering. It might be ok as a complement to some roasted meat, but paired with anything less robust, it is just overpowering.

I went to the grocery store on my way home from work last Friday to pick up the ingredients for the trifle and for this chutney. I had to give some little presentation thing about my Food for Thought project to some MIT alumni on Friday evening, so I didn't leave MIT until almost 8pm. I was exahusted, wandering through Whole Foods, looking for a lot of things I don't usually buy (whole allspice berries, cheesecloth, etc...), and I remembered how much I love Whole Foods. One of the grocer guys was helping me find the hidden stuff (like the cheesecloth in the seafood section?). When I asked him if they sold kitchen string he thought about it for a while and then decided that they didn't. He told me though to go tell the meat guy to give me a piece of butcher's stirng. I did, and he didn't even bat an eye. He just cut me a long piece of string with his huge cleaver. It was really cute. You know, I realize that some of the food at Whole Foods is really expensive, but I really think they are a great company. The people they employ are so friendly and helpful. Plus, the food is consistently high quality. And they donate a tremendous amount of leftover bread and pastries to the homeless shelter where I volunteer, which is a great thing for the women there! Yay for Whole Foods!

No comments: