Sunday, April 30, 2006

Broccoli with Mustard Seeds and Horseradish (Page 524)

  • Date: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Recipe Rating: A-

Paul wanted something with broccoli so we chose this one. This broccoli was extremely good. It was a very simple dish -- just steamed broccoli with a butter sauce that had mustard seeds and horseradish in it. The horseradish and broccoli combination was excellent though! I should note that we put much less of the butter sauce on the broccoli than the recipe indicated. The flavor of the sauce was amazing, but neither Paul nor I like our vegetables too buttery. Overall a simple, but extremely tasty dish! I highly reccomend it!

When I was young I always talked about opening a restaurant that only served my then-favorite foods: steamed broccoli, cheese ravioli, and chocolate cake! I was so excited about it and I failed to understand that not everyone loved these foods as much as I did. My mom tried to convince me that most people like to have some options - another thing I didn't understand! If I ever do open a resaurant the menu will have more than 3 items, but there will definitely be broccoli, ravioli, and chocolate cake on there. My broccoli may have horseradish in it, my ravioli may be filled with butternut squash in addition to cheese, and my chocolate cake may be molten, but they will still be there...

I have always loved steamed broccoli. The first piece of cooking equipment that I ever owned myself was a steamer and I would make steamed broccoli almost every day. Even covered in horseradish and mustard seed sauce, steamed broccoli makes me nostalgic.

2 comments:

Mike Hill said...

I'm confused. You "highly recommend" this dish, yet you only gave it an A-?

Teena said...

I don't think you understand my grading scale. A- is already exceptionally good. To get an A it has to be absolutely amazing! Those coffee filled cream puffs dipped in caramel that you like so much -- those would get an A!