Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Fresh Tomato Sauce (Page 207)

  • Date: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Tomatoes were really cheap at Russo's so Paul and I bought 5 pounds of them and made this fresh tomato sauce. It was really very good. I was a little skeptical that it might come out bland, since it was just tomatoes, garlic, and basil, but actually it had great, deep flavor. We ate it for days over some good pasta (also from Russo's) and never grew tired of it.

Tyler's wife is pregnant, so today we had a surprise baby shower for Tyler in the math department. I was a little worried that he was going to be upset with us for making a big deal out of it, but actually he seemed to have fun. We had some vegan snacks (Tyler is vegan) and some gifts. It was a good time. There's nothing like drinking wine before seminar to put you in a good mood for the talk! Here are a few pictures from the shower.

Huh, as I was writing this a plate just shattered in the microwave. Apparently you really shouldn't microwave dishes that don't say "Microwave Safe" on them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that the Recipe Ratings these days are generally higher than when you first started. Is this because you're not picking recipes randomly, or have you started to subconsciously tweak them as you cook?

Also, replying to comments will encourage more comments...

Teena said...

Is that true? I looked back at January and they don't seem so much higher now to me. It's true that I haven't had any real disasters in quite a while, so no D's and F's, but the average grades seem at least close. You're right that since I haven't been picking randomly lately, I am more likely to get things I like! I try not to tweak the recipes too much, or at least when I do I try to list my modifications on the blog...

Maybe I should explain my grading scheme in one of the next few entries.

paul said...

I'd just like to point out that when Teena said "we ate it for days" she really meant "Paul ate it for days." While the sauce was indeed tasty and deserved an A-, I was looking forward to something different after the fourth straight meal :).

Teena said...

Need I point out that you could have eaten the leftover chicken that is now rotting in your fridge instead...

paul said...

mmmm... rotting chicken... I think I know what's for dinner tonight!

Teena said...

I fear that the days when that chicken was safe to eat are long gone now... you may have to make yourself a veggie riblet and arugula sandwich, or actually go to the grocery store!

paul said...

Unfortunately every ounce of arugula in my fridge went into that wonderful "craploads of arugula with a bit of pasta" dish we had last week. I will either have to eat my veggie riblet sandwich plain or venture to the store!