Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Best Rice Pudding (Page 827)

  • Date: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 8:30pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Mike and Alex
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I chose this one because I hadn't yet made anything from the "Puddings, Custards, Mousses, and Souffles," section of The Book. Now that I have, I have made at least one thing from each of the 21 sections! This rice pudding was pretty good. It had a nice texture and flavor. Alex pointed out that it was very creamy without being overly rich like some rice puddings are. I forgot to buy a vanilla bean when we were at the grocery store, so I used vanilla extract instead. The vanilla bean would have certainly been better, but the extract still provided a nice vanilla flavor. Overall it was a simple, warm dessert. Mike suggested it would also make a good hot cereal on a winter morning, which I think is true.

Tomorrow morning I am heading up to Cornell for a conference so I may not blog for a few days. I am excited about the conference, both because the mathematical program looks good and also because a couple of mathematicians that I am friends with but who I rarely see will be there. Young academics move around so much that these conferences are often like little reunions. I am driving there tomorrow with 3 other MIT graduate students. I like it when the MIT topologists go to these conferences together. Travelling with coworkers is a different way of getting to know the people that you work with every day. In the winter a bunch of us went to Union College for a weekend conference and we had a great time! I'm hoping Cornell is equally fun.

It will also be nice just to get out of Cambridge for a few days. In the winter I was traveling so much that I was happy to have a couple months at home this spring. Now I am ready to do a little traveling again!

No comments: