Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Grits and Cheddar Casserole (Page 656)

  • Date: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 1pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matt, Peter, Ana, Vero, Jacob, Vigleik, Josh, Alex, Izzet
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I made these grits for my brunch on Saturday. I had been eyeing the recipe for a while because Paul is a big grits fan. He couldn't make it to brunch though, so he didn't even get to try these. They were ok. Opinions were quite mixed. Some people complained that there was too much cayenne in them. Others thought that the cayenne gave the grits a good flavor. When I asked people how they would rate this recipe, the suggestions ranged from C- to B+. Jacob said, "Teena, I'm sorry, but I can' t suport giving the grits a B+." He really disliked them, although he never really aritculated why. I didn't think they were bad. Maybe there was a bit too much cayenne. The cheese was nice though. I wouldn't make this dish again since it wasn't anything special, but I enjoyed eating it.

Whenever a relationship ends I like to think about what I learned from it, either from the person or from the experience itself. This morning I was thinking about what I learned from Paul. There are lots of things really, but one stands out. I learned how nice it is when the person you are with really takes an interest in the things that are important to you. Paul certainly liked to cook before we even met, but while we were dating he wanted to cook with me more than he ever would have on his own. He got so involved with my project - he would be looking through The Book some nights, thinking about recipes for the next day. It was really wonderful. I have certainly dated guys who happily cooked with me once and a while, but I have never been with someone who really seemed to get a lot pleasure from it on a daily basis. I really appreciated that he was so excited to work on something together with me. I want to remember how cared about that made me feel. I hope that I can do the same in my future relationships, and really try to find a way to share in the hobbies of my partner. I never realized before what a wonderful guesture of caring that can be.

No comments: