Monday, May 22, 2006

Roast Beef Sandwiches with Roquefort and Caramelized Shallots (Page 191)

  • Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Paul
  • Recipe Rating: B-

I picked these sandwiches for dinner one night last week because the recipe was quick and sounded appealing. These sandwiches weren't great though. I spent the whole meal trying to figure out why I didn't want to eat it. Paul is not a huge fan of blue cheese, so his hesitations about the dish were clear. I really love every ingredient though, so I'm not sure why I didn't really like this dish. It just didn't work for me somehow. We used Carles Artisanal Roquefort, which is one of the best cheeses in the world --but perhaps this was a mistake. That particular cheese is quite strong and thus the cheese really dominated the sandwich.

I got back from the conference at Cornell last night. Both on the drive there and the drive back we had 3 or 4 hours of good weather, followed by 2 hours of pouring rain. I don't love driving in the rain, especially on the highway, so that was a little stressful. It's hard to get too stressed out with Peter, Matt, and Ricky in your car though! Especially when Ricky is sitting in the back seat, singing along to Shania Twain! Whenever I hear "Man, I Feel Like a Woman," from now on, I will definitely think of Ricky! Just as we were driving in to Cambridge last night the rain let up and there was a beautiful rainbow over MIT.

The conference at Cornell was fun. Conferences can sometimes be discouraging in a way (more on that another time) and I certainly felt a little bit of that this weekend. Beyond that though, the conference was really nice. Overall, the talks were quite good -- very interesting and well presented. It was also to fun to see Jesper and Soren, and other old friends that I hadn't seen in a while. Plus, I got to watch whole lambs be roasted on a spit for the picninc on Saturday night! It was a good time!

No comments: