Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Sugar Cookies (Page 669)

  • Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 9am
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: 35 hungry graduate students, post-docs, and professors grading differential equations exams!
  • Recipe Rating: B

I chose these cookies because I had all the ingredients in my pantry already. They were pretty good. They came out a bit dryer than I expected though. In fact, I had to add additional oil to the dough to even be able to form the cookies. As written, the dough was too crumbly to even hold together. They had an excellent flavor though, and the cookies were a bit chewy, which I liked. This recipe made quite a few cookies and they all got devoured pretty quickly by the grading crew, so I think everyone liked them well enough!

Yesterday the approximately 600 students in the differential equations class that I am a TA for took their final exam. The exam ended at 4:30pm, so the teaching assistants all gathered at 4:45 to start grading. We finished just after midnight! It was a long evening, especially since many of us also proctored the 3 hour exam starting at 1:30pm. I was very pleased though with how my students did -- I had many really impressive scores in my section!

Paul and I split up amicably about a week ago now, and Mike is already trying to set me up with random people he read articles about in the newspaper. Not just any newspaper, but The Metro! *sigh* Seriously though, our break-up has made me realize how rapidly I adjust to situations. Although were weren't together so long, I grew used to being in a relationship. I actually enjoy being single, so I am not upset about transitioning back to that lifestyle, but it surprises me how foreign it feels even after such a short relationship.

This will sound strange, but I realized yesterday that one thing I really like about dating is having someone to make dinner with. For whatever reason, I rarely make a big dinner just for myself. But even with just one other person around, I like to do that. Paul really likes to cook too, so we had a lot of fun working through the book together. I'm going to miss him when he moves off to Colorado in a couple weeks -- I don't think anyone else I know is willing to cook with me as much as he is!

No comments: