Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Crispy Oven-Fried Cod (Page 301)

  • Date: Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Paul's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Paul
  • Recipe Rating: A-
I picked this dish because I hadn't yet made a single recipe from the 69 page long "Fish and Shellfish" section of The Book. I figured it was about time to get started. I chose this one because it sounded good, and I figured I would have a better attitude about the fish section if I started out on a good note. In fact, it was true. This dish was excellent. It was simple, and flavorful. The fish was perfecly cooked -- nice and flaky and moist, and the coating was crispy and delicious without being too oily. The cornmeal added a wonderful crunch to the breading. This is a straightforward, wonderful dish.

Today I was asked to help out as a volunteer at The Walk For Hunger rather than going to my usual shift at Rosie's. Rosie's receives some of the money raised by the walk, so Rosie's Place volunteers staff one of the checkpoints along the walk. It was really great to be out there! I felt so inspired by all the people who came out to walk to raise money for fighting hunger in Boston. Our checkpoint was at mile 16.5 (out of 20!), so people were pretty tired but in surprisingly good spirits. I was shocked by the range of ages. There were lots of children walking with their parents. There was a girl who was probably only 5, walking along, carrying a balloon, looking adorable. I was impressed - twenty miles is a long way to walk for such a young kid! I also met a man who said this was the 31st annual Walk for Hunger that he has participated in! It was really fun to be at the chekpoint, helping out the walkers, and meeting a lot of people. I gave out water to the walkers and cheered them on. Next year I would really like to walk it. I was just so amazed by this incredible show of support for hunger issues. Apparently tens of thousands of people were walking for hunger today in Boston.

No comments: