Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Pasta with Bolognese Sauce (Page 221)

  • Date: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 8:45pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Paul's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I suggested this one because I love Bolognese and I have been eagerly anticipating making this dish. It did not disappoint. This sauce was excellent -- flavorful, and hearty. Whole Foods was out of ground veal, so we substituted more ground beef and ground pork, and the sauce still came out wonderful. Various steps of the recipe took much longer than indicated (e.g. evaporating off the milk and then the wine) but this was probably in part because we multiplied the recipe by one and half so as to have leftovers. Still, I think it would probably take a little longer than written. It was worth it though! We froze the sauce we didn't eat last night or pack for lunch today. It's always such a good feeling to have something so delicious in the freezer ready to go!

My advisor was in town for a few days a couple months ago and while he was here we did a spectral sequence computation together. What we got doesn't make any sense though. So, when he left we agreed that we would each think about what we might have done wrong. Since then I have rechecked the computation many times, only to get the same, wrong answer. My advisor, now in Japan has also repeated the computation. I have also enlisted the help of my very smart friend Tyler to try to help me figure out what's going on. It's mysterious though. This afternoon Tyler and I sat and stared at a blackboard for quite a long time, occasionally writing things down, but mainly just looking puzzled. At this point I am just really curious what we are all doing wrong (or are we doing something wrong -- is it possible that the spectral sequence itself is wrong?)...

On a different, more encouraging note, this is the first time in probably a month that my blog has actually been up to date. I have now entered every recipe I have made so far! And tonight I am going out to dinner with Marco, so I can't possibly get behind again until at least tomorrow!

No comments: