Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Devil's Food Cake with Brown Sugar Buttercream (Page 742)

  • Date: Monday, May 8, 2006 - 6pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA (MIT!)
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Bridget
  • Dining Companions: Vigleik, Shihchi, Mike, John, Haynes, Big Mike, Mark, Charles R, Prof. McClure, Ricky, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: A-
Vigleik picked this cake for his post-thesis defense celebration. It was pretty good. The flavor of the devil's food cake was quite nice, and the cake was wasn't too dense. It was just a tad dryer than I would have preferred, but I like my cake really moist. This is why, left to my own devices, I usually make chiffon cakes, or well-soaked genoise. But, for a butter cake, this one was very good. A few changes that I made to the recipe: I put diplomat cream (vanilla pastry cream cut with whipped cream) between the layers rather than frosting, just for some variety. The decoration was also not part of the recipe. Overall though, it was a pretty good cake, and everyone seemed happy with it!

The semester is rapidly winding down at MIT. Next week is the last week of classes! I am going to miss my differential equations students, but not teaching and not having classes and seminars to attend will definitely give me more time to work on my research, which will be nice. Summer in the math department is always pretty mellow. A lot of people travel for much of the summer, and even those that stay around here don't often work from the office. So the department starts to feel a little abandonned. It's very different from the academic year. I am staying around here for commencement, since a lot of my close friends are graduating. Then I am going to California, probably for a month or so, to work and see friends at Stanford. I am looking forward to it!

But it's not summer yet -- in fact, I have to teach in 10 minutes! Anyone want to come learn about matrix exponentials and solutions to systems of inhomogeneous differential equations?!?

No comments: