Monday, May 15, 2006

Grilled Treviso Radicchio with Scamorza (Page 573)

  • Date: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Mike and Alex
  • Recipe Rating: C

Alex generously volunteered the use of his grill for dinner last night, so I picked this recipe because it is one of the few grilled side dishes I have left to do. I knew going in to it that I don't particularly enjoy radicchio (bitter vegetables are not my favorite!), but I tried to keep an open mind. I think Mike summarized it best when he said at dinner last night, "It's hard to enjoy eating something when nature screams at you with every bite: 'Don't eat me!'" The recipe claimed that the grilling was going to "tame"the bitterness of the radicchio, but it didn't really seem to happen. The dish came out very, very bitter. None of the three of us really wanted to eat it. Based on my reaction to it, I could have given it a lower rating. But, I wanted to take in to account the fact that I don't really like radicchio. If someone really liked radicchio, it's possible that they could like this dish...

So Alex, Mike, and I made dinner last night. It was really fun. We had a nice, big meal. The only component of it that was really amazing though, was the one thing we didn't make: some cheese. While we were at Whole Foods Mike picked up some La Tur cheese, and we ate it with blackberries and crackers before dinner. The cheese was really impressive. It's a soft Italian cheese made with sheep, goat, and cow milk. So good!

I took a lot of shit last night from the guys about my food photography style. Apparently they don't like the fact that I cut off the edges of everything. Alex wants to see the whole plate in every picture, for example. I firmly believe that as long as the food is reasonable attractive, it looks better when photographed very close-up. When I said this to Alex, he responded that that didn't explain why I cut off the tops of people's heads. Fair enough. Although, I have included the following picture of me that Mike took last night, to demonstrate that other people do this too... Anyway, if the rest of you out there hate my food photography too, let me know and I will reconsider my strategy.

4 comments:

Mike Hill said...

I didn't give you shit about your photos! I in fact defended you, pointing out that Alex's suggestion would be kinda weird...

Teena said...

Fair enough. I was trying not to name names, but it's true that Alex made fun of me and you defended me. Sorry!

Treviso Hotel said...

I am glad that Treviso specialties are getting highly appreciated.

Treviso hotels said...

The plate is a part of the composition alright, but as long as it wasn't ornamented somehow, there is no need to show it entirely, the food is important. Especially when it is my favorite grilled radicchio with cheese. Best regards!