Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Creme Brulee French Toast (Page 651)

  • Date: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 1pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Alex, Ana, Jacob, Izzet, Matt, Peter, Josh, Vero, Vigleik
  • Recipe Rating: B

Before I left for South Carolina on Sunday I had a few friends over for brunch on Saturday afternoon. I made this French toast for the occasion. It wasn't bad, but was not nearly as good as the Challah French Toast from a few weeks back. This French toast is baked in the oven. The soaked bread sits on a layer of a butter and brown sugar mixture which turns in to a sort of syrup when it bakes. To serve, you invert the French toast so the syrup sits on top. My only serious complaint was that the syrup was extremely sweet and there was a lot of it. So the French toast itself was a little overpowered by the sweetness. All the flavors were good though. People certainly ate it happily, but it's not a French toast that I would make again.

After a nice brunch on Saturday afternoon I cleaned up and packed for a very early departure Sunday morning. Paul and I then drove to my parents' house in Hartsvile, SC on Sunday. Paul is on his way down to Florida, with all of his belongings (since he moved out of his apartment in Boston) and my parents' house happens to be on the way to his parents' place in Florida. I think he intended to just drop me off, stay here one night and get on his way Monday morning. He decided to hang out a few days in Hartsville though, since he realized how fun it is here! We had a fun drive down. He actually drove the whole way, because I wasn't there when he rented the van so he couldn't sign me up as a driver. He drove 13 and a half hours straight without complaining. I was pretty impressed! I realized we had made it to the South when we stopped at McDonald's for beverages and they had a big poster for "Mickey D's Sweet Tea!"

No comments: