Sunday, May 07, 2006

Scrod with Tomatoes, Bacon, and Sherry (Page 285)

  • Date: Friday, May 5, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Dining Companion: Jessie
  • Recipe Rating: C+
I picked this one because scrod and bacon sounded good, plus I am trying to make more things from the seafood section. It was really pretty bad. The tomato, bacon, sherry topping was tasty, but the flavor didn't manage to penetrate the fish very much. So the dish was essentially just poached scrod with some stuff on top. It wasn't very cohesive. I didn't even eat my serving of it. Most things I will eat even when they aren't great, but fish is one thing that I like when it's good, but don't really feel like eating when it's not so good. Paul agreed that is was bad, but still ate both my serving and his!

Yesterday Vigleik defended his thesis! He gave a great talk and then we all had cake and champagne and went out to dinner. It was a combined topology dinner and defense dinner because there was also a topology seminar yesterday. Fifteen of us went to dinner at Cuchi Cuchi, where the food is quite good. Part way through dinner I realized that it was the last topology dinner where we would all be together. I think we're having dinner next week, but Haynes can't go, and after that the seminar will be over for the term. Next fall Mike and Vigleik won't be here any more! My sense of dread about them leaving continues to grow. It's just hard to think about what the topology group will be like without the two of them. There are so many great, fun people in the group, but Mike and V contribute so much! I just try to remind myself that I still see and talk to the people who left in previous years... Ok, I'm going to stop thinking about this now.

I talked to Emilee last night and I think we decided on a summer vacation destination. Em, Brian, and I have been planning a June vacation. We had considered Mexico, Hawaii, the Grand Canyon, Wyoming, etc... but finally Emilee and I decided that we would take a trip, just the two of us, to Vegas! I'm so excited. I've never been there. I know it's supposed to be horrible in a way, but the idea of being in Vegas with Emilee seems so fantastic to me. I can't wait!

No comments: