Monday, May 15, 2006

Skirt Steak Fajitas with Lime and Black Pepper (Page 430)

  • Date: Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Mike and Alex
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I picked this recipe because Alex volunteered the use of his grill and this is a grilled dish! These fajitas made a fun, easy meal! Sadly, Whole Foods was sold out of skirt steak! The butcher recommended that we substitute sirloin tips, which we did, and the dish still turned out well. Well all agreed though that it was really the grilled onions that made the dish. The onions were extremely flavorful, bringing both a sweetness and a charred flavor to the dish. Grilling the tortillas was also a good suggestion. If you have a big grill, this would make a fun, simple dish for a group of people on a summer evening.

Sunday was Mother's Day. I had originally planned to go home to Wisconsin, both to see my mom and because my cousin Anne graduated from college on Sunday. In the end I couldn't make the trip. I sent my mom The Book though as a Mother's Day gift (Paul also sent it to his mom!) and she was so excited when she got it. She already has her eyes on several things to make this week. She is planning to start with the puffed apple pancake, which I haven't made yet, so I am curious to know how it will turn out. My mother is an amazing cook and I think that my love of food came in no small part from her. In particular, she loves to bake. When I was young there were always homemade cookies or pies in the ktichen. That's probably how I developed my sweet tooth -- eating my mother's fantastic desserts! This may also be why my standards are so high for dessert items! One of the many reasons I love visiting home is that she will always make cookies before my arrival. No one's cookies can compare to my mom's!

Happy (slightly belated!) Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!

No comments: