Friday, May 26, 2006

Berry Tart with Mascarpone Cheese (Page 777)

  • Date: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: John, Cotton, Dimitri, Vero, Sophie, Tony, Omar, Jeana, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I picked this to bring to John's birthday gathering because it sounded good and I am trying to tackle some of the recipes with a slightly longer start-to-finish time. I haven't made a lot of the pies and tarts from The Book yet because of time constraints so now I am trying to make some progress in that section! This tart was quite good. The filling was a very simple, unbaked mascarpone cream. It was excellent though -- creamy, and tangy and it complemented the berries well. With mounds of fresh berries on top, the dessert couldn't help but be beautiful and a bit dramatic. My favorite thing about it though was that it felt indulgent without being extremely heavy. It made the perfect dessert for a warm evening. I think John liked it a lot, and he was the birthday boy so that made me happy.

Today has been a bit of a struggle. I wish I knew how to be more patient. I have known a few people in my life who have seemingly endless patience. They are people who everyone loves. They are great with small children. They bring joy in to the lives of the people that they encounter. I am not one of these people. I have, over the years, learned to force myself to be patient. It doesn't come naturally to me though. And when I am overtired, or hungry, sometimes I don't find the energy to make the effort. Although I recognize this as a flaw, and I have, each year for at least the last 10 years, resolved to try harder to be more patient, I worry that I'm not making any progress. Tonight, spending time with a friend, I was short-tempered, and generally sort of unpleasant, for no real reason other than lack of patience. This is something that I would like to work on.

No comments: