Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Wild Rice and Toasted Almond Pilaf (Page 262)

  • Date: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 7pm
  • Location: Hartsville, SC
  • Kitchen: My Parents' House
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Dining Companions: Terry and Teri (My Parents!)
  • Recipe Rating: B+

Paul and I made dinner on Memorial Day at my parents' house. It was a bit of a challenge to find recipes in The Book for which ingredients are available in Hartsville. We thought this wild rice and almonds dish wouldn't be a problem. It turns out that the only wild rice we could find was Uncle Ben's wild rice and long grain white rice combo with seasoning. Fortunately, the seasoning was all in a packet that we just didn't add, but we still had to adjust the cooking time in the recipe to account for the fact that what we had wasn't just wild rice. After our adjustments, I thought the rice came out tasting really good. My mom and Paul agreed but my dad wasn't a fan of it. It's an easy dish, and I thought it was a nice change from white rice.

I got my cavity filled today. Having never had a cavity before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought it would be really unpleasant, but actually it wasn't nearly as bad as I would have guessed. My mom came with me, although she waited in the waiting room. When I was 11 I had to have 10 teeth pulled, and they did it in 2 batches: 5 one week, and 5 the next. My mom came with me for the first 5. I was really upset and insisted that she come in and hold my hand while I was having them pulled. The dentist reluctantly agreed to this. As they were pulling out the second tooth, my mother passed out. She ended up having to be given her own nurse and dental chair in another room. She still turns pale when she talks about the crunching noise that the tooth-pulling made. My dad had to go with me the following week. So, today, my mom waited in the waiting room instead, which was probably for the best.

The thing that cracks me up about the dentist in Hartsville is that they write all sorts of personal information about your life in your chart. So whenever they pull my chart they have all this personal stuff about me from the last 3 years, and then some stuff from when I was 6 (the first time my family lived in Hartsville). So the dentists and hygenists are always trying to piece it together, and add new stuff to my chart. Last time I was there they were asking about my romantic life and recording it. Today they were asking me detailed questions about my father's job and writing it in my chart. Why this is important for my dental work, I'm not sure. But it never ceases to entertain me.

No comments: