Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Virginia Ham and Melon Apple Chutney on Corn Bread Rounds (Page 42)

  • Date: Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Paul and Alex
  • Dining Companions: Marco, Mike, John, Sophie, Vigleik, Shihchi, Vero, Cotton, Jessie
  • Recipe Rating: C+

Many months ago Cotton and Vigleik both volunteered the number 42 and as a page number I should use for my project (I think "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" had something to do with the popularity of this suggestion). I told them that when I needed an appetizer, I would make it. So I made it for my black tie birthday on Saturday! These weren't very good though. The cornbread rounds were excellent, but the pairing of the cornbread with the ham and chutney was totally dominated by the melon apple chutney. They didn't taste unpleasant, but it was in essence just like eating plain chutney...

I am so behind in my blogging. Having eaten these more than a week ago now, it's hard to remember exactly what they tasted like! I have been doing a lot of cooking, but I haven't been finding the time to write about it. One of these nights I will sit down and write up all the recipes I have made but haven't blogged about. Right now I think I am about 8 recipes behind! Ahhh!

I am writing this in my kitchen, where the cake for Mike's thesis defense tomorrow is chilling in the fridge, and Paul is making fresh tomato sauce on the stove. We went to Russo's yesterday and bought many pounds of tomatoes at an incredibly cheap price, and now we are putting them to good use! I like spending Sunday afternoon in the kitchen cooking. It's a good time to make intricate desserts and other things that take a while. It doesn't feel like Sunday to me unless there is something boiling on the stove all day. The weather is beautiful today and I have the windows in the kitchen open and Bebel Gilberto playing on my CD player. I feel very, very relaxed.

No comments: