Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Pita Toasts (Page 7)

  • Date: Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 1pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: A-

I picked this recipe to be part of an appetizer for a dinner gathering I was planning to have at my place on Sunday night. My roommate became very sick with food poisoning or something on Sunday afternoon though, so I cancelled dinner. I had already made these though. They are really simple and quite tasty. They would make an excellent accompaniment for a wide variety of dips and spreads. I think there are a nice alternative to toasted baguette slices.

School is back in session and I am sick. Every day my symptoms seem to be different. Saturday and today have been the worst days so far -- the two days in between were pretty manageable. I rarely stay home from the office, but today I would have done it except that I needed to teach. In fact, jnkf is in Germany, so I was teaching for him too today. I am aiming to feel miraculously cured by morning, but if not I may actually stay home tomorrow.

This is the first time I have really been sick since Chris moved across the country. He's the only person in my life (aside from my mom!) who will stay with me when I am sick and take care of me. It's hard not having anyone like that here. I don't think he would identify that as something that he likes about our friendship: that we have the type of bond that results in us taking care of each other when we're sick. That means a lot to me though. Even though he and I have really been struggling lately to find the right way to be in each others' lives, I have been missing him a lot the last few days. Chris once spent 9 hours in the MGH emergency room with me. He has sat in the Mt. Auburn hospital waiting room through many MRIs. When I told him on the phone a few days ago that I was in bed with tonsilitis, he knew exactly what I needed to feel better. I have been incredibly lucky in the last 8 months that my health has been essentially problem-free. Tonight though, feeling sick and frustrated, I wish he were here. Probably he's glad he's not here though... :)

No comments: