Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Cranberry Cognac Trifle (Page 718)

  • Date: Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Paul
  • Dining Companions: Paul, Alex, Marco, Mike, John, Sophie, Vigleik, Shihchi, Vero, Cotton, Jessie
  • Recipe Rating: A-

This was my birthday "cake" for my black tie party on Saturday night. When I went to grocery shop before making this and realized that it had 22 eggs in it, I was pretty excited! It was quite good. I am always a little wary about making trifles -- they are a big time investment because of all the components, and they can often be quite unimpressive. This one tasted good though, and it came out looking nice. The cake itself was very flavorful and absorbed the syrup and custard nicely without getting overly soggy. The cognac whipped cream on top complemented the richness of the rest of the dish quite well. Overall I was pleased with it. A few people complained that it wasn't as good as my "usual" cakes, meaning the cakes I make that are not from The Book, but as Mike commented, it is the best cake I've made from The Book so far.

It's Friday afternoon and I am sitting at home in my bathrobe! I tutored this morning and decided I would work from home this afternoon. This weekend is going to be a little crazy I think, so I am enjoying some time by myself for a few hours today.

I have some new goals. They are to eat frequently and to get enough sleep! I have made a couple different people mad at me in the last few weeks. And as I was thinking about how to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future, I realized that the number of people I frustrate is inversely proportional to the number of hours of sleep I get, and directly proportional to the number of hours since my last meal. When I get tired and hungry I get really irritable, and my judgement becomes a little bit questionable. So, in the interest of preserving my friendships, I am going to try to remember to eat and sleep! So far, the eating and sleeping plan seems to be working out well!

No comments: