Monday, April 17, 2006

Grilled Bell Peppers with Criolla Sauce (Page 557)

  • Date: Sunday, April 16, 2006 (Easter!) - 8pm
  • Location: Cambridge, MA
  • Kitchen: Alex's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Alex, Marco, and Mike
  • Recipe Rating: C+
Alex kindly offered the use of his grill once again, so Marco, Mike, and I gathered at his place to grill up some food. I chose this side dish because it is one of the few grilled side dishes in the book! People had mixed opinions on this one. The suggested grades ranged from C (Marco) to B+ (Alex). Left to my own devices, I may have given it a grade in the D range, but I took everyone else's opinions in to account too! It wasn't that the dish was bad, but it just didn't make a lot of sense to me. It was essentially grilled red, orange, and yellow peppers with the skins removed, mixed in with raw onions, tomatoes, chiles, garlic, etc... All the flavors were good, it was just an odd assembly of things. The cooked red peppers together with the raw onions just didn't seem like a good combination to me. I actually did not eat the serving of it on my plate, which is unusual for me. Everyone else ate it and thought it was fine though, so it may be partly a matter of personal preference.

Everyone laughed when I suggested that our dinner last night was an Easter dinner. I like Easter though. It's one of my favorite holidays. I spent the afternoon at Rosie's Place, serving lunch to the women there. Easter at the homeless shelter is always a blast. They have a DJ come and play music and all the volunteers and guests are singing along and dancing. It's really fun. Plus, there are a lot of children there for Easter, which is always a riot. A little girl drew me a very pretty picture yesterday and she wrote my name on it over and over again with "I love you Teena" going down the side. It's very cute. A couple other little girls asked me if I knew cursive and when I said yes they asked me to write a whole variety of things for them. They were very critical of my cursive though, pointing out that some of my capital letters didn't look curvy enough!

It was fun to get together with Alex, Marco, and Mike, even if it was not officially an Easter event! We all grocery shopped together, cooked together, and ate together. I think it's so nice to be in the kitchen with friends. Plus, everything goes so quickly with 4 people cooking! Alex provided a couple nice bottles of wine and we had a fun, relaxing evening. Here are some pictures of Mike and Marco cooking.

2 comments:

marco said...

I feel like I am on TV! how bizarre, I've never seen myself on a blog.

Also my shirt matches with your site. This was unintentional.

Sincerely,
Marco

Mike Hill said...

I thought of it as an Easter Dinner! I was really excited to have dinner with you guys on Easter. It was always one of my favorite holidays, and it meant a lot to me to get invited to share it with y'all!