Monday, June 26, 2006

Almond Cake with Kirsch Cream and Lingonberry Preserves (Page 710)

  • Date: Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Brian, Bret, Karen, Stanford Mike, and Kai-Mei
  • Recipe Rating: B-

Emilee's only criterion in selecting a dessert was that it had to contain a kind of alcohol that she didn't own. Since she had no kirsch, we selected this cake. It was ok... The almond flavor of the cake was very nice and the cake was wonderfully moist. It was so incredibly dense though that it was hard to eat more than a few bites. And while in general I really like whipped cream with alcohol in it, the kirsch whipped cream just didn't taste good. In fact, the kirsch gave the whipped cream a slightly soured flavor, which wasn't appealing. The lingonberry jam was tasty, but could have been better incorporated in the dessert. Emilee pointed out that it would have been a much nicer dessert if the cake was split and filled with the jam rather than just having the jam on the side. The cake batter was excellent raw and Brian speculated that it wouldn't be as good once we baked it. I think he was right! Overall, it wasn't a bad dessert, but I wouldn't make it again. I forgot to take a picture before I started eating my piece -- whoops!

So I was reading Self magazine in the car on the way to the beach this weekend, and there was this little mini-article with financial tips. Now, granted, Self isn't really known for being a source of incredibly accurate information, but I was still reading it. They had a little blurb about how to compute what your net worth should be. Their algorithm was to take your age, multiply by your annual income, and divide by ten. I did this, and was appalled! I am apparently supposed to have way more money than I do! I went on and on about this for a while in the car and finally Emilee suggested that I calculate what it should be in 10 years, figuring that that would seem like a more reasonable number and I would feel better. Again, shocking! How am I so poor?!?

On another note, I saw the movie Wordplay yesterday, a documentary about the New York Times Crossword and competitive crossword solvers. It was really fun! I definitely recommend it! One of the highlights: Jon Stewart makes a few appearances and is, of course, really funny.

No comments: